Following two decades of nonprofit and business experience, I have turned to academe with an aspiration of strengthening civil society and its conditions – in the US, in Ukraine, and globally – through relevant and rigorous research, and by bridging theory and practice. Currently, my research is focused on informal and grassroots civic engagement, diaspora mobilization on social media, as well as civil on civil society developments in post-communist contexts more boradly, especially in Ukraine.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.] (2018). The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges, with foreword by Rose-Ackerman, S. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Krasynska, S. & Martin, E. (2017). “The Formality of Informal Civil Society: Ukraine’s EuroMaidan.” VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 28(1), 420-449.
Krasynska, S. (2015). “Contra Spem Spero: The Third Sector’s Resilience in the Face of Political Turbulence and Legislative Change in Ukraine.” Nonprofit Policy Forum 6(2), 167-186.
Kostenko, Y. (2020). Ukraine’s Nuclear Disarmament: A History. Edited by Krasynska, S., translated by Wolanskyj, L., Krasynska, S., & Jennings, O., introduction by D’Anieri, P. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute Publications.
Book Chapters and Book Reviews
Krasynska, S. (2019). Review of Huseyn Aliyev’s “When Informal Institutions Change: Institutional Reforms and Informal Practices in the Former Soviet Union,” Nationalities Papers 47(5), 919-921.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2019). “The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia.” In Davies, T. [Ed.], Routledge Handbook of NGOs and International Relations. New York, NY: Routledge Publishing.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2018). “Overview of the Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia.” In Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.], The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2018). “Lessons Learned and Larger Intellectual Contexts.” Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.], The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Bresler, R., Krasynska, S., Augay, A.A., Pikulik, A. & Smith, D.H. (2016). “Civil Liberties and Freedoms as Association Contexts.” Chapter 46, in Smith, D.H., Stebbins, R. & Grotz, J. (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Volunteering, Civic Participation, and Nonprofit Associations. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
Krasynska, S. (2015). “Digital Civil Society: Euromaidan, the Ukrainian Diaspora, and Social Media.” In Marples D.R. & Mills, F.V. (Eds.), Ukraine’s Euromaidan: Analyses of a Civil Revolution. Stuttgart, Germany: ibidem Press.
Schumann, M.J., Jones, J.A., Hunt, K., Mitchell, K., Krasynska, S., Deitrick, L. (2014). State of Nonprofits in San Diego, Nonprofit Institute, University of San Diego.
Krasynska, S., Jones, J.A., Schumann, M. (2013). Applied projects evaluation: Organizational impact report, Nonprofit Institute, University of San Diego.
In addition to scholarship and teaching, I provide a variety of consulting services. Please reach out to me to see how I can best serve your organization or project.
I am actively engaged in professional service, including peer review for academic journals, abstract review for professional conferences, organization and moderation of public lectures and discussions, and participation and leadership on nonprofit boards and unversity committees.
– Journal for Comparative Policy Analysis (JCPA)
– Journal of Information Technology and Politics
– International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations (VOLUNTAS)
– Nonprofit Policy Forum (NPF)
– International Society for Third-Sector Research (ISTR)
– VOLYA Institue for Contemporary Law and Society
– Associate Professor Search Committee (2014), Leadership Department, Univeristy of San Diego
– Associate Director Search Committee (2013), Caster Center for Nonprofit and Philantropic Research
– Programm Assessment Committee (2013-2014), Nonprofit Institute, Univeristy of San Diego
– International Third Sector Network (2012-2015), Leadership Department, Univeristy of San Diego
– “A Farewell to Nukes: Could Things Have Been Different for Ukraine and the World with an Alternative Denuclearization Path?” (2021), Ukrainian Research Institute, Harvard University
– “Invisible Battalion: War, Women and Society in Ukraine” (2019), Department of Political Science, San Diego State University
– “War and Peace in Ukraine: Past, Present, and Prospects” (2018), Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, University of San Diego
– “The Occupation of Crimea: Human Rights, Global Security and International Order” (2015), briefing at the United States Congress
– “Human Rights on Occupied Territory: Case of Crimea” (2015), Headquarters of the United Nations
– “International and Intercultural Research Symposium: Methodology and Practice” (2015), Leadership Department, University of San Diego
– “The Future of Ukraine: Conflict, Leadership and Civil Society” (2014), Leadership Department, University of San Diego