Svitlana Krasynska, PhD
After an over a decade-long career in nonprofit leadership and management, I’ve turned to academics with the goal of strengthening the third sector through rigorous research and by bridging theory and practice. I received my interdisciplinary PhD in Leadership Studies at the University of San Diego in 2018, receiving the William P. Foster Outstanding Dissertation Award. Currently, I am in the process of writing a book based on my dissertation research, thanks to the generous support from the Harvard University’s Ukrainian Research Institute, where I am in residence as a post-doctoral research fellow. In spring 2020, I also began teaching leadership courses as a visiting assistant professor at Boston University’s School of Hospitality Administration.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.] (2018). The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges, with foreword by Rose-Ackerman, S. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Krasynska, S. & Martin, E. (2017). “The Formality of Informal Civil Society: Ukraine’s EuroMaidan.” VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 28(1), 420-449.
Krasynska, S. (2015). “Contra Spem Spero: The Third Sector’s Resilience in the Face of Political Turbulence and Legislative Change in Ukraine.” Nonprofit Policy Forum 6(2), 167-186.
Book Chapters and Book Reviews
Krasynska, S. (2019). Review of Huseyn Aliyev’s “When Informal Institutions Change: Institutional Reforms and Informal Practices in the Former Soviet Union,” Nationalities Papers 47(5), 919-921.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2019). “The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia.” In Davies, T. [Ed.], Routledge Handbook of NGOs and International Relations. New York, NY: Routledge Publishing.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2018). “Overview of the Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia.” In Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.], The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2018). “Lessons Learned and Larger Intellectual Contexts.” Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.], The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Bresler, R., Krasynska, S., Augay, A.A., Pikulik, A. & Smith, D.H. (2016). “Civil Liberties and Freedoms as Association Contexts.” Chapter 46, in Smith, D.H., Stebbins, R. & Grotz, J. (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Volunteering, Civic Participation, and Nonprofit Associations. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
Krasynska, S. (2015). “Digital Civil Society: Euromaidan, the Ukrainian Diaspora, and Social Media.” In Marples D.R. & Mills, F.V. (Eds.), Ukraine’s Euromaidan: Analyses of a Civil Revolution. Stuttgart, Germany: ibidem Press.
Kostenko, Y. (2019-forthcoming). Ukraine’s Nuclear Disarmament. Edited by Krasynska, S., translated by Wolanskyj, L., Krasynska, S., & Jennings, O. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute Publications.
Schumann, M.J., Jones, J.A., Hunt, K., Mitchell, K., Krasynska, S., Deitrick, L. (2014). Annual Report: State of Nonprofits in San Diego, CA, http://digital.sandiego.edu/npi-stateofnp/2.
Krasynska, S., Jones, J.A., Schumann, M. (2013). Applied projects evaluation: Organizational impact report, http://digital.sandiego.edu/npi-appliedprojects/1.
Deitrick, L., Roberts, T., Jones, J., Krasynska, S., Lewis, E., Kahl, S., & Libby, P. (2013). Annual Report: State of Nonprofits in San Diego, CA, http://digital.sandiego.edu/npi-stateofnp/1.
In addition to my scholarship, I provide a variety of consulting services, ranging from scholarly editing to strategic organizational development.
I am actively engaged in professional service, including peer review for academic journals, abstract review for professional conferences, organization and moderation of public lectures and discussions, and participation and leadership on nonprofit boards and unversity committees.
– Journal for Comparative Policy Analysis (JCPA)
– Journal of Information Technology and Politics
– International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations (VOLUNTAS)
– Nonprofit Policy Forum (NPF)
– International Society for Third-Sector Research (ISTR)
– VOLYA Institue for Contemporary Law and Society
– Associate Professor Search Committee (2014), Leadership Department, Univeristy of San Diego
– Associate Director Search Committee (2013), Caster Center for Nonprofit and Philantropic Research
– Programm Assessment Committee (2013-2014), Nonprofit Institute, Univeristy of San Diego
– International Third Sector Network (2012-2015), Leadership Department, Univeristy of San Diego
– “Invisible Battalion: War, Women and Society in Ukraine” (2019), Department of Political Science, San Diego State University
– “War and Peace in Ukraine: Past, Present, and Prospects” (2018), Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, University of San Diego
– “The Occupation of Crimea: Human Rights, Global Security and International Order” (2015), briefing at the United States Congress
– “Human Rights on Occupied Territory: Case of Crimea” (2015), Headquarters of the United Nations
– “International and Intercultural Research Symposium: Methodology and Practice” (2015), Leadership Department, University of San Diego
– “The Future of Ukraine: Conflict, Leadership and Civil Society” (2014), Leadership Department, University of San Diego