Svitlana Krasynska, PhD
After a practitioner career spanning two decades and two sectors (business and nonprofit), I have turned to academe. My goal and aspiration for this latest turn on my professional path is to help strengthen civil society and its conditions – in the US, in Ukraine, and globally – through rigorous applied and scholarly research, as well as by bridging theory and practice. My personal and professional experiences befit and enrich my interdisciplinary and applied education. I received my graduate degrees at the University of San Diego: PhD in Leadership Studies in 2018, and MA in Nonprofit Leadership and Management in 2005. Currently, my research is focused on informal and grassroots civic engagement, diaspora mobilization on social media, and nonprofit sector development in Eastern Europe.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.] (2018). The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges, with foreword by Rose-Ackerman, S. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Krasynska, S. & Martin, E. (2017). “The Formality of Informal Civil Society: Ukraine’s EuroMaidan.” VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 28(1), 420-449.
Krasynska, S. (2015). “Contra Spem Spero: The Third Sector’s Resilience in the Face of Political Turbulence and Legislative Change in Ukraine.” Nonprofit Policy Forum 6(2), 167-186.
Book Chapters and Book Reviews
Krasynska, S. (2019). Review of Huseyn Aliyev’s “When Informal Institutions Change: Institutional Reforms and Informal Practices in the Former Soviet Union,” Nationalities Papers 47(5), 919-921.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2019). “The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia.” In Davies, T. [Ed.], Routledge Handbook of NGOs and International Relations. New York, NY: Routledge Publishing.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2018). “Overview of the Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia.” In Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.], The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. (2018). “Lessons Learned and Larger Intellectual Contexts.” Smith, D.H., Moldavanova, A.V. & Krasynska, S. [Eds.], The Nonprofit Sector in Eastern Europe, Russia and Central Asia: Civil Society Advances and Challenges. Leiden, Netherlands, and Boston, MA: Brill Publishers.
Bresler, R., Krasynska, S., Augay, A.A., Pikulik, A. & Smith, D.H. (2016). “Civil Liberties and Freedoms as Association Contexts.” Chapter 46, in Smith, D.H., Stebbins, R. & Grotz, J. (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Volunteering, Civic Participation, and Nonprofit Associations. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
Krasynska, S. (2015). “Digital Civil Society: Euromaidan, the Ukrainian Diaspora, and Social Media.” In Marples D.R. & Mills, F.V. (Eds.), Ukraine’s Euromaidan: Analyses of a Civil Revolution. Stuttgart, Germany: ibidem Press.
Kostenko, Y. (2020-in press). Ukraine’s Nuclear Disarmament. Edited by Krasynska, S., translated by Wolanskyj, L., Krasynska, S., & Jennings, O. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute Publications.
Schumann, M.J., Jones, J.A., Hunt, K., Mitchell, K., Krasynska, S., Deitrick, L. (2014). State of Nonprofits in San Diego, Nonprofit Institute, University of San Diego.
Krasynska, S., Jones, J.A., Schumann, M. (2013). Applied projects evaluation: Organizational impact report, Nonprofit Institute, University of San Diego.
In addition to scholarship and teaching, I provide a variety of consulting services. Please reach out to me to see how I can best serve your organization, project or cause.
I am actively engaged in professional service, including peer review for academic journals, abstract review for professional conferences, organization and moderation of public lectures and discussions, and participation and leadership on nonprofit boards and unversity committees.
– Journal for Comparative Policy Analysis (JCPA)
– Journal of Information Technology and Politics
– International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations (VOLUNTAS)
– Nonprofit Policy Forum (NPF)
– International Society for Third-Sector Research (ISTR)
– VOLYA Institue for Contemporary Law and Society
– Associate Professor Search Committee (2014), Leadership Department, Univeristy of San Diego
– Associate Director Search Committee (2013), Caster Center for Nonprofit and Philantropic Research
– Programm Assessment Committee (2013-2014), Nonprofit Institute, Univeristy of San Diego
– International Third Sector Network (2012-2015), Leadership Department, Univeristy of San Diego
– “Invisible Battalion: War, Women and Society in Ukraine” (2019), Department of Political Science, San Diego State University
– “War and Peace in Ukraine: Past, Present, and Prospects” (2018), Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, University of San Diego
– “The Occupation of Crimea: Human Rights, Global Security and International Order” (2015), briefing at the United States Congress
– “Human Rights on Occupied Territory: Case of Crimea” (2015), Headquarters of the United Nations
– “International and Intercultural Research Symposium: Methodology and Practice” (2015), Leadership Department, University of San Diego
– “The Future of Ukraine: Conflict, Leadership and Civil Society” (2014), Leadership Department, University of San Diego